Life

Life

Friday, July 2, 2010

Same event. Different point of view...

By now you've read Doug's version of the crossing.
It is very Tavelogish and a wonderful read...

This is my version of the crossing...
Yes!! We were on the same boat.

Day One
I got sick

Left Port St Lucie for the big bad ocean. Doug gave me sea sick pills, just in case...
The sea sick pills made me sick. I was MISERABLE.
To make matters worse when I wasn't on watch, I was encouraged to sleep.
HOWEVER, because of the winds we had to tack every short bit and no sooner did I fall asleep, but Doug woke me up. No worries, I got my revenge when I WAS on watch and Doug was SUPPOSED to be resting.

Day Two
I got peanut butter ... and more peanut butter

We start across the big bad ocean. I have first watch and wobble the boat about like a drunken sailor.
Our GPS has a 'bread crumb' trail that shows where you've been... so there was no denying that I was wobbling about. I blame it on the winds being light and trying to sail as close to the winds a possible.
Did not get a DUI. What would they do, flash their lights and ask me to pull to the side of the ocean?

Wasn't hungry and so had only two crackers with peanut butter. Thought that I would eat before my next watch at midnight. However, Doug was so enthralled with his stars... (and thoughtful of me) that he let me sleep through a watch and woke me up at 4:00 instead.
Now, I have to tell you that getting out of bed on creaky complaining joints is bad enough.
Doing it when the boat is dancing about the ocean is a whole new treat.
I was able to make some coffee and had peanut butter and crackers for breakfast.
(Doug is all masterful and can make himself soup and top ramen. I am happy that I am able to manage to get the peanut butter on the crackers. ;)

Day Three
I got shower

We pulled into West End and as Doug said there was no anchoring, no matter how hard he tried and let me tell you he tried. The poor man was tired. He only wanted to anchor the boat long enough to eat lunch and get some rest as
he'd only gotten a couple of hours sleep. While we were waiting to see if the anchor would hold it began to rain. At first I was a bit annoyed as the bimini was pulled back to allow for maximum star viewing. Sure, I love rain, but I love it when I CHOOSE to love it. I was not thrilled at getting soaked and nothing to be done for it....
However, I soon realized what an idiot I was being. We are in day three and NO FREAKING SHOWER... oh, sure I could have had one on the boat, but to what purpose when within minutes I'd be sweat and salt spay covered again. Here I had perfectly good fresh water offering to rinse me off and I was whining? ahahaha

When we ascertained that the anchorage blew we were off again. Doug crawled down below to sleep, and for lunch I had peanut butter and crackers while I dodged every freaking boat in the Bahamas. It was as if they came out to test my skills.

When we finally docked at the marina (after 26 hours of traveling) we made a WONDERFUL dinner and I can assure you that peanut butter was NOT one of the ingredients.
= )
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment