Life

Life

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Sunrise Marina

We prolonged out stay at the Sunrise marina one more day.
Our boat sprang a leak. Not a good thing in a boat.

Our beloved AC was causing grief, not pumping water where it should and instead pumping it into the Master Cabin.

We stayed the extra day because the guys at the boatyard were going to come take a look at it. The Bahamians apparently have no sense of urgency at all. Totally laid back, it will happen when it happens kind of feeling. Apparently the guys at the boatyard were not "feeling" it yesterday and closed up shop. Didn't stop by to even say they couldn't do it. Maybe they thought we meant next Saturday.

Doug seems to have fixed the problem. **crosses fingers**
"Don't need no stinking boatyard dudes!!"

I too encountered the Bahamian sense of 'eh' yesterday.
I thought that before we headed out to the Berry Islands that we should begin with some clean clothes so I took our laundry to the marina, paid for the wash and dry at the front desk. Meandered back, put the clothes in the washer, added the detergent and waited for someone to come turn the machine on for me. After a while the gal from the front desk appeared and announced that the washer was broken.

Really. Really?
Not an out of order sign to be found on the island I take it. Couldn't even make one up? Eh. I smiled, took my money back, gathered up my clothes and walked into town, Doug and I had seen a laundromat the night before when we were exploring. Laundry is done.

On my way to the laundry I noticed that the same LARGE dude was still standing at the bus stop. Now, I would not have thought much of this had he been standing on the OTHER side of the street, as it had been evening when I last saw him. He was on the same side of the street. Odd, that. Then a vehicle came to a stop and the tinted window rolled down just far enough for a hand with a bill in it to be exposed. I discreetly looked away. Whatever LARGE dude does with his time is no concern of mine.

They have a car wash in town and he was busy working again yesterday morning. He sets himself up beside the Variety Store, near the bus stop and proceeds to wash and detail cars.
I get it now. That's what LARGE dude was doing... on the front of his Tee it says "Car Wash $20.00" He's the walking billboard. Yes... a walking billboard. Must work well too, the car wash dude is always busy.

The night before when Doug and I were exploring we ate at a little restaurant. I had conch with plantain and rice with peas. (peas = kidney beans) Doug had the BBQ Chicken, mixed veggies and coleslaw. It was very delicious.

On our adventure we heard a little critter rustling through the brush. (Little my aunt fannie) It was a large lizard, at least large in comparison to the lizards in Florida. Its tail at the base was very broad and the rest curled up tight. Once it had gotten itself safely away from our loud, tromping feet, it stopped and gave us the stink eye for having disturbed it.

Birds are everywhere and sing constantly. They have black faced gulls with white around their eyes. I've yet to determine if it is a look of innocence or intimidation. Their cry almost sounds like laughter... having seen me trying to get on and off the boat at this marina, their laughter is warranted.

The fish in the marina I have yet to see, but they feed like the carp at LaGoon. There is a major disturbance in the water, it roils for a bit and then all settles back as if they'd never been there. Doug said he saw the fish throwing themselves against the concrete wall. Suicidal fish? We have a hook that could remedy the situation for them.... just say'n.

Returning from the shower I found myself held captive by a ginormous crab. The kind they keep as pets in restaurants. The kind that sparked the notion of every outer space monster born in Hollywood. It's slow procession took it from from the main office tile towards the shower room door, while I just stood there and watched it. "Take a left, take a left," I pleaded. It did and I escaped.

Later today we are going to head down to another marina for the afternoon. We'll spend the afternoon exploring a market place that they advertise, have dinner and then make the crossing to the Berry Islands tonight. That's at least the plan right now.
Every thing changes when you are on a sail boat.
= )
J.

1 comment:

  1. Just so you don't all worry too much... the air conditioning system wasn't actually "pumping" water into the cabin. It was "dripping"... and dripping very slowly at that. However, after several days of this slow dripping then water had built up to the point where I had to do something about it.

    One thing about owning a sailboat. There's never time to be bored. There's always SOMETHING that needs fixing or adjusting.

    ReplyDelete