Life

Life

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Demons in Florida

The truce has not been violated.
I repeat. The truce has not been violated.

The fuel polishers were here. Hank in the aft birth doing the work, while Robby (the boss) was in the cabin chatting amiably. Doug suddenly reaches out in a chivalrous attempt to protect his lady from a nasty black spider. There was only one little problem. The spider was basically over my head and when Doug 'missed' the nasty creature it had but one direction to go.

I went skittering across the cabin as I informed Doug about his error in judgment, my voice hitting an octave that would shatter glass.

Robby was on the phone at the time and basically blew off my histrionics. "Eh, some lady saw a spider."

Hank poked his head out from the aft birth to see what the excitement was about and saw me perched a top the seat by the dinette. He inquired as to my duress and I calmly said, "Spider." He nodded knowingly and went back to work. He didn't laugh openly at me but his eyes were twinkling pretty bright.

Meanwhile, Doug is about the spider catching business. In the end he produced a wadded up tissue and proclaimed it 'gone.' But I will never know if it was 'gone' as in caught and dead gone. Or if it was a Jaker Truth kind of gone. "It's gone, Mom. Don't exactly know where it went, but it's not in my line of sight...so, it is gone."

Since I did not sanction the killing of the spider.
Truce is still in effect.

Demon number two

I am not an adventurous driver. In Salt Lake if I attempt to drive to Provo, I will end up in Ogden. Thus is my life. So when it came to my attention that I would be driving for 90 minutes on a Florida freeway I was more than a bit nervous.

Since we rented a car at the airport we had to return the car to the airport. Well, that's just freaking great. After much trepidation, Doug convinced me I could do this thing. Armed with a two way radio we headed to Enterprise to rent the second car so Doug could return the first.

Since I did not get lost, it was not as bad as I had imagined. Doug devised a wonderful plan where he'd drive just a bit slow. That way if anyone got between us, they would be so annoyed they would not stay there long. It worked like a charm.

I have driven on the freeways in Florida. Yeah!!
= )
J.


No comments:

Post a Comment