Life

Life

Saturday, June 19, 2010

First morning on the boat

What an awesome experience. As I made my way to the marina to shower, I met Smokey, a calico cat. It seems that curiosity and cats are soul makes. Smokey had fallen off the peer not too long ago and has stayed on board ever since. I guess I was enough of an oddity that I sparked her interest and she came down to make my acquaintance

Two dolphins decided to frolic in the bay. They roll to the surface, blow, and then roll under. It was fun to watch one catch a fish and throw it into the air. Didn't his mother ever teach him not to play with his food? I guess dolphins gotta have fun too.

I watched as two birds played chicken. It looked as if collision was immanent. Then they swooped, turned and flew off wing tip to wing tip with precision that would give the Thunderbird's reason to gawk in awe and admiration. They did this repeatedly. Must be some crazy mating ritual. If you don't chicken out, you know to dodge to the left and don't crash and burn during the crazy maneuvers, you are an okay spouse.

As I neared the marina a large black bird cawed and cawed until I marked its location. It then swooped off his perch, dove for the water and flew off over my head with a fish in its claws. It looked like a blimp with a fish shaped basket. I can't imagine it was waiting for me to witness his spectacular feat and I began to wonder if he was sizing me up for breakfast. Finally a GOOD reason to be fat... even LARGE birds don't want to mess with me.

Off to the side of the dock in the marshy grass, a bird so blue it was almost black, tip toed its way in pursuit of breakfast. It lifted its foot so high, and then placed it gingerly down before lifting the other, as if to say, 'ew, ew, ew I should have gone to McDonald's. I hate cold breakfast.' Then without warning its baby blue bill plunges into the grass. What delicacy it found we will never know. But it can't be as good as a sausage, cheese biscuit. Just sayin'.

A bunch of birds have accumulated in the mast of a neighboring boat. They sound just like the birds from Cinderella. However, these birds are not whistling a happy tune, they are playing 'I am King of Bunker Hill'. One bird has spent the morning defending what appears to be the highest perch. But then he noticed a wire swaying in the wind and it was higher still. He left his lofty throne and flittered onto the wire. Not good! He fluttered to gain his balance. Not good. Finally, he gained his balance. "I am King, I am... not Kiiiiinnnng." Crazy bird lost his grip on the wire. Alas, it was too late to go back to the previous perch and there is a new King in town.

Yesterday I met Jake. He is Smokey's friend. A cute dog with a jaunty walk and a lop ear. He wears a bandanna with pride and is very friendly. He always greets new people first before going on to greet old acquaintances.

Oh, and I met people too. Steve and Charla are in the boat next to ours. They belong to Jake and Smokey. I met Charla at the marina. She had her hair up under a kerchief and I looked at it longingly, wishing I had not given Grandma's to Good Will. Come to find out Charla has breast cancer and is undergoing Chemo. I'm not lusting after her head gear any more. Though I am considering shaving my head. ;) Charla has undergone two rounds of Chemo so far and will have the third next week. Steve seems standoffish but not a bad neighbor, he just doesn't want to be best buddies. That's just fine with me as long as he will let Jake and Smokey out to play.

Doug ate a whole pudding cup while I was at the marina. That is major good and the most he's been able to eat in almost a week. We keep feeding him small meals...eventually he will get his strength back.

I do have to warn you that divorce may be in the future... yes, it is sad but true. Doug witnessed a coffee melt down. He is probably wondering what kind of banshee he married. ;)
But I ask you... I ASK YOU... how can you PROMISE someone coffee and not deliver??? That is cruel and unusual punishment and we are STILL in the USA.

We bought REAL coffee. I have had NO coffee since leaving SLC and I was okay with that because, I KNEW I would not be getting coffee. But we are now on the boat and we have real coffee and a coffee maker and shore power and I am good to go. The freaking outlet does NOT work. I FREAKED out. This was not good. I should have bought the instant coffee. If I had bought the instant coffee I would have coffee by now. But NOOOOO we had to buy the real coffee. Doug wanted me to have the REAL coffee and now here I am with a useless coffee maker and NO COFFEE!!!

Luckily Doug did not throw me overboard. He patently found me an outlet that functioned and I was able to get my morning java. ahahaha

Well, that's it for my morning. The afternoon is being spent hiding from the heat. This evening if Doug is feeling up to it we will go get a few more things that the boat needs.
Love to all,

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I never did understand my dad's aversion to coffee. If you have some sort of address, I'll send you a french press.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent idea. We have electricity now, but a contingency plan is always good. I'm sure we can find a french press in Florida.

    ReplyDelete