Life

Life

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Storks, spiders, adventure

Stork

I think I saw a stork yesterday. It looked much like a gull in flight with long trailing legs. When it landed I was surprised by its size. Its back was to me and its sinuous lines looked much like an artistic rendering of a woman in a white evening gown.

I sure wish I could draw more than stick figures with a stencil. I know that I could take pictures, but the camera and I don't see eye to eye; the camera will never understand what I see.

Truce

After my first Nano they put out a challenge for a Big, Fun, Scary, Adventure. Goal setting, basically. I am terrified of spiders and decided to do something about it, hence the truce.

The rules for the truce: If I see a spider, I let it know that it has been seen. I then walk, no running or screaming for help. I casually walk for the bug spray, fly swatter, someone else's shoe, etc. and by the time I return if the spider is still there - good bye spider.

It has freed my life. Spiders no longer able to get their jollies watching me flap about, frothing at the mouth in fear have moved on to more amusing prey.

I bring this up because we have some arachnid residents. This morning a long legged one was doing this odd circular step on the deck. Right off I pointed my finger at it and said, "Truce! We have a truce." Then the thing did its lopsided circle walk and I felt bad for it.
Was it caught in an other's web?
Had it lost one of its legs?
Had it been out drinking with the boys?
Since it was outside it seemed only fair to remind it of the truce and keep a wary eye on it.

Soon it shook off the 'circular' disease and headed straight for my unshod foot. I lifted my foot and planted it on the other side of this truce breaker. I reminded it, once again, of the truce. The spider skedaddled back to his web, meandered about for a bit, decided to keep the truce and has now gone.

Where are the manatees?

There are supposed to be manatees in these waters. You see signs about them everywhere. I have yet to see a manatee.

Doug

Doug was feeling much better yesterday and got a bit adventurous.
His adventures included:
Chocolate Cheese Cake.
Chips with just a hint of salsa.
An entire Cheeseburger.
As of my last sighting of him, he was still living. Yeah!!!
= )
J.

2 comments:

  1. Manatees are endangered, aren't they? And I totally hear you on the spider thing. Basement apartments... You can just ask my dad about me and spiders when I was little. But no more. I am the Angel of Arachnid Death. Good thing they're not endangered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manatees are endangered. There are signs every where in Florida telling you to watch out for them. They are elusive and wish not to be seen, it makes it very tough on boaters who wish not to run over them.

    Angel of Arachnid Death...ahahaha I love this visual!

    ReplyDelete